Saturday, May 16, 2009

Life, Death, and the Pursuit of a Legacy

People today are trying to define themselves by what they can get out of life:
What they wear, how they look, how much stuff they have, what kind of car they drive.
I've been to a lot of funerals and have never yet eulogized for a person for any of that kind of stuff.

They never talk about what a nice house they had or a nice car they drove.
It's always about the relationships.

Were they kind? Were they generous? Did they help others?
It's always what they talked about because that's all that really counts in the end.

The people you touched are your real legacy. You're not defined by what you take from this world.
The fact is you won't take anything with you.
You're defined by what you leave behind, what you give to this world and by how you impact other people.

It's been said that there's only two ways to live: You can either love things and use people, or you can love people and use things.

I've made my choice. I'm going to love people and use things.

People, they last forever.

Everything else just burns.

-Shirock


Everyday I think about life and death. Not in a depressing way, but I am constantly thinking about the impression I make on people. How are people going to remember me? We discussed this Wednesday night at church, and I decided I wanted to be remembered as a positive person, somebody looking at the bright side of every situation, uplifting. But what else do I want to be remembered for? I always said I want to change the world, I still do, I just feel that I've drifted from that strong passion. It's still there, but now when I think about it, I see it as a far off dream that I strive for but will never reach. That's a negative way to view it, huh? I can reach it, I've just been discouraged because I feel that I'm not where I need to be in my relationship with Christ anymore, which is true. I love God, I'm struggling, but I know I can come out hand in hand with Him. He saved me, I want everyone to know that. My life needs to shine for Him every second of every day.




lovelovelegacy

No comments: